Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Windows 10 Upgrades (1511) via Intune

The Windows 10 1511 Upgrade is not available via Intune. We use Intune as our Update Management platform (small business).

I thought that the Windows update functionality in Intune should be like a WSUS in the Cloud. With peer-Distribution in Windows 10 and in Intune before it should be possible to not overload our Internet line.

If this should not work by design then please Microsoft state clearly which of your products is designed for which Scenario.

618 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DavidDavid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew YenAndrew Yen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't that now implemented with that Azure thing? Now I think I can setup distribution rings or something?

• Tijs BouwmansTijs Bouwmans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An appropriate short term solution could be to disable automatic update trough intune by devices that are managed trough Intune, thus individually updating trough Windows Update online.

• Espen JaegtvikEspen Jaegtvik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not fixed yet? Windows 10 branches are losing security-support in a few months. This is getting critical

• Fábio Bretes VitorFábio Bretes Vitor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys, Any news about this? Is quite strange that all Windows 10 enrolled machines (even deployed using Windows 1511) aren't able to be upgraded just using Microsoft Intune. I already tested the scenario availble in the new Azure Portal, but seems not working. Even from 1511 to 1607 (CBB), or from 1607 to 1703 (CB).

• La VarLa Var commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can not believe this is not even possible for Intune. How is this not possible? Is this being planned? I have clients in different states it would suck that I go and visit them just to upgrade their os from 1511 to 1607 to 1703. Come on Microsoft Help us out here!

• JordanJordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like some of the others here, we have thousands of machines which will need to be upgraded from 1511 to 1607 and later on 1703. If the new upgrade model includes rapid releases of Windows 10 builds, then Intune should have the ability to support that same model. Otherwise, it would seem Intune is failing to deliver what it promised.

• Gabriel BurgenerGabriel Burgener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to enroll the anniversary update per Intune aswell. Please include those updates also in Intune! Big Thanks

• Greg HayGreg Hay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. we have 3000+ devices sitting on 10240. We don't plan to walk to every device around the country. we don't have sccm (and don't plan to) How do we get intune to push these devices to the anniversary release? we wanted to go windows defender advanced protection and we cant, because the devices wont work, because they are on the wrong build, and intune wont upgrade the build. Not a great pitch for intune or windows atp.

• Andrew YenAndrew Yen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For now the only real workaround I've figured was running the windows 10 upgrade assistant as a application with a required install... but even so it's a hit or miss game.

• GabeGabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Learned of this the other day as well. How can I roll out start menus if the XML formatting of 1607 is different to 1511? How do I explain to my sponsor that Intune does not cover all Windows Updates?
        That is, we have subscribed to EMS starting this year, but the Intune part has gimped our planned rollout of cloud management of identities and devices. As long as we cannot manage device configurations and apps properly via Intune, I cannot recommend the Enterprise Mobility Suite to anyone.

• accurIT ConsultingaccurIT Consulting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is tons of movement within in other areas (Azure, Office 365, etc.), but Intune appears to be the red-headed step child. What in the world is going on?

• DrewDrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is critical that we have the ability to control the timing of the Windows build upgrades through our current product Intune. Just configuring Windows Update for Business deferrals in Intune is not enough. If this is not addressed soon we will have to stop using Intune.

• HenrikHenrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must for SMB. Please make it happen. I agree with David that there is not a clear picture how the products should work by design.

• OliverOliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree... it's a shame to push Windows 10 and Intune and finally no option to release the updates... we manage about 25 tenants. Really bad Microsoft! And even no feedback on this posts and even about my open case!

• PRiddingtonPRiddington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We manage 60+ devices and wanted to manage these with as little infrastructure as possible, which has been perfect thus far. However, after raising a support call about this it appears my only option to do this is through SCCM? This is not an option for us and probably means looking at alternatives for device management. A real shame as intune has a lot of promise. PS. I agree with the last post that the now 127 votes on the https://microsoftintune.uservoice.com/forums/291681-ideas/suggestions/11542395-windows-10-upgrades-1511-via-intune should be merged with this.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base