Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Sequence of Policy/Applications

Other MDM solutions allow policies and mandatory applications to be ordered. Or a priority set to them. So what I'm looking for a is a priority for a deployment. This way I can enforce that WIFI policy or line of business apps are installed before the Office apps (at 500MB a piece).

187 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anders Berggren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are still running in to this now. We would like to be able to force a custom taskbar layout, but the layout almost always gets applied before the applications I want to push finish installing, so nothing happens as a result.

• Ben Middleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like this solved as well. I could write a powershell wrapper for each of our apps to check if a certain app/package is installed before trying to install. This obviously will not work well with native MSI based device context Line Of Business apps deployed via intune. We're deploying some with that and some with powershell scripts.

• Jono Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature so bad, even for simple things like;

Dont set the start menu via policy until all the applications are installed.
        Dont install printers until the print drivers are installed.
        Dont install Application A until Application B is installed.

• Gabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised this Idea has not received any more input, yet, given that it's almost a year old. Yes, it is essential that administrators can set the sequence or order of the policies and applications rolled out. With a user setting up their device in EMS, he would want to have Office 365 Pro (Plus) client installed first so that he can get down to work as soon as possible. Instead, our Intune is pushing nifty small Windows updates first, letting our employees sitting in front of their computers wasting precious time.

The Intune client has become our single biggest obstacle to the EMS rollout.
        Frankly, I wouldn't recommend Intune to anyone as long as the local client receives some loving or is replaced via MDM completely. Frankly speaking, I'm surprised how poor the client performs.

• Edwin Friesen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some applications contains an application bundle of multiple MSI files. In such case it is sometimes important to specify the installation order of each file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base