Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Restrict large app updates\downloads to Wifi Only

Applications have large updates - Excel \ Word etc updates have been 400+mb recently.
Over 1.2Gb to update Word\excel\powerpoint. this is a major chunk of the data allocated to the device data plan & we would ONLY want the apps to download updates if \ when they are connected to a WiFi service.

We would like to be able to specify over X (where X is a field we can specify) amount to ONLY use wifi connection. We would probably set this value at 100mb so any app over 100mb will onlly update via WiFi

Ideally we would like to specify the WiFi also - so updates are only done when the users are on-prem - and not to download at home - so we dont consume too much of their personal broadband plans.

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben Hallawell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sl1ckRick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just had the pleasant experience that our users reported that iOS 12 downloaded over their cellular connection. This is only happening on our supervised devices where an inTune iOS upgrade policy is defined.
        Apple has policies in place that restricts the size of downloads over cellular, why this isn't incorporated in inTune is beyond me.

• Tcheezus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found that Intune updates on Cellular data, the download is not that large, however, spread over 4000 users and 6000 devices, this can be an issue. I am surprised that this limiting is not already part of the Intune mgmt process.

• Aditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, good to include this option either as policy or option in company portal client. It will help to control data charges and less application installation failures due to poor data connections

Feedback and Knowledge Base