Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

renaming the device in the company portal should rename it in the Intune console

Is it possible to rename a android device. I have renamed the device in Company portal but it is not showing up in Intune.. even after a refresh.

Cheers,
Sheena Reddy

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sheena Reddy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to do this, if implemented as the requester stated, might be problematic for corporate owned device environments, and should be optional and configurable for admins if it were. Such as if for some reason this advances beyond users just being able to change the device's "nickname". If the user was able to change the actual device name simply through the Intune app it will make it potentially harder to identify in the Intune admin console and assuming corporate owned, users would have access to veer away from corporate standards on their own. Almost like if you allowed users to change their Windows computer name on their domain joined computer which would be a huge no no.

• Sheena Reddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Cathy

Thanks for your help. I will be sure to check out the other forums.

Regards,
    Sheena

• AdminCathy Moya (Program Manager, Microsoft Intune) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sheena, there's not currently a way to do this, but this item will stay in UserVoice and we'll see what traction it gets. There are also other items dealing with device naming you may want to search for to see if you want to vote for them. As for the corp/personal ownership, here's a doc topic. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/deploy-use/manage-corporate-owned-devices
    Also, I highly recommend checking out our TechNet forums: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=microsoftintuneprod
    We have many people from the community there asking and answering questions. Many of our MVPs show up there to help people find what they need.

@Cathy .. Also another question would be how do you change the ownership from Personal to Corporate?

Again thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

@Cathy thanks for your reply.

Yes i think that better describes my issue.
    Please do let me know how to do this as it would make it easier for me to distinguish between the devices if they were named correctly.

Regards,
    Sheena Reddy

• AdminCathy Moya (Program Manager, Microsoft Intune) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sheena, I happen to know the answer to this one, though typically these forums aren't the best for Q&A type stuff. The name the user sets in the company portal is just a "nickname" to make it easier for the user to distinguish between multiple devices displayed in the portal. It doesn't actually rename the device.

I will change your title to read "renaming the device in the company portal should rename it in the Intune console", to reflect the request the behavior I think you want. If that's not right, let me know.

Feedback and Knowledge Base