Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Extend MDM MSI deployment

I would like the MDM MSI deployment (to MDM enrolled Win8.1+ clients) to be extended. Currently, only single MSI's are supported, I'd like this to include MSI's with .cab's, MSP files to patch installed MSI apps, and to be able to deploy .exe installers.

1,106 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jos Anoniem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rob de Roos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is developing MSIX. I think that is what will become a solution for this issue. Only time will tell.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we please get some feedback on this request? We're forced to use PowerShell combined with other solutions or package our own MSI files to support deploying the necessary applications for our environment.

• Noor A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the most top idea/suggestion/need from customers pending for 2 years now, its clearly MS have no intention to resolve this issue, I'm adding my vote and 2 cents hoping this will change

Business small/large, have tons of in house built-in apps in addition to those standard that allow customization (ex adobe with transform file), without have a proper way to deploy and manage application life cycle, MDM management becomes a feature for only managing MS product and settings, we hear a lot about vendors talking to each other to provide better services to customers yet we need to see an outcome, this idea was submitted 12/2016, how much longer it takes MS to acknowledge it!

• Janne Boman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ 1 for this. We are a fairly large ~2000 employee company. We got a fresh start when our company was actually carved out from a larger enterprise. This gave IT the possibility to go for a "clean slate approach", including an evergreen strategy where we generally use the latest versions of pretty much everything with a cloud-first thinking. This meant that we will never ever deploy SCCM. Great, but now I face the challenge to deploy +2gb SW installations (design software, etc...) and this with Intune is... well, not possible. I would really like to see MS supporting more this kind of setups, after all, if the cloud is the hype then please also "walk the talk..."

• Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What they should do is allow you to hook in a package feed as if it were an app store and assign the exact same way you do other mobile apps. Wrap your packages into an Intune compliant format, create a repository, then hook your repo into Intune. Maybe move toward having a built-in Intune repo. Basically do what Chocolatey is trying to do so you can side-step support every installer's requirements. It works better over all even if there is some more work in developing your packages (usually not much more).

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not holding my breath, but yeah - it is still the case that most software has to be installed with an exe or some kind of package. Even the Office Pro installer goes out that way, and so MS provides a back door for that through Intune by making it its own thing.

Very very very frustrating.

Rumor has it that project sidecar (PowerShell script execution engine) will be enhanced to deploy .exe and simple .msi...

• ON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I understood, Intune won't support EXE installers, and this probably won't change.

MS prefers us to switch to "modern" installers, so that we all enter this "modern world". It means you will have to convince your sw manufacturers, that they need to build Intune compatible packages (single-MSI, or switch to MSIX packaging, or switch to MS AppStore-based model).

They probably want to cut the head of MSI file format, that exists since Windows 2000, and that became a nightmare to support/understand over the years. Unfortunately, IT people mainly know SCCM as the only way to deploy packages, so this does not help when you speak to colleagues or sw manufacturers : they have no clue, and you have to explain them the new MS vision/roadmap.

So myself, even if I do agree that this vision looks still like a dream, like Ben Reader said earlier in this thread, I simply gave up on believing MSI/MST/MSP/EXE formats will be supported one day, as this is not the MS strategy.

It is incredibly frustrating that we are no longer able to deploy .exe installers from Intune in the new Azure portal. Effectively, this stuffs deployment of common apps such as GIMP. Please can this be reviewed urgently.

dont understand why this feature is no longer possible. It was with Intune old admin page. Never could understood why Microsoft would introduce tools set to later remove. As admins, we depend on such tools.

• Mike H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be exceptionally useful (almost essential some would say?) to support EXE installs.

I would like the ability to deploy .exe applications using the Azure InTune portal.

• ON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@JB : well, I agree these PS Scripts are using "run until succeeded" mechanism, but what is the trigger in any case? It is an "At enrollment" trigger, with no ability to re-trigger execution of a PS script at a later time.

The topic here is about how to deal with "non-single MSI file packages" app installation and patching during the whole the device lifecycle. One possible idea was to use PS scripts as an alternative to control the installation of such softwares.
        If there is no way to trigger again execution of PS scripts, because they were already executed successfully in the past, then the whole mechanism for PS scripts cannot be used for such sw installations and patching purposes.

And that's valid even if MS just announced this new "MSIX" file format packages, that are supposed to "work with Win32-based" apps (still, I haven't figured out how MSIX is supposed to magically make "non-single MSI file packages or EXE installers" to work with Intune, without any changes on sw manufacturer side...).

On the Apple Mac side, JamfPro competitor MDM product can run shell scripts whenever you want : at enrollment, every hour, every day, at startup, at login, at network state change, and so on... I would simply like to have an equivalent control in Intune (a screenshot of what is offered on Macs is available here for example : https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/14361/custom-event-triggers)

• Douglas Plumley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for .exe installers is a must, there just needs to be more flexibility in deploying apps, period.

• Ben Reader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's absolutely mind boggling that this isn't part of Intune.

Unfortunately most businesses / organisations do not live in the dream world that we all wish existed - most have legacy software or applications that do not provide single file MSI installation media.

Without the ability to deploy multi file install media or non MSI media, Intune is all but useless for a large swathe of the corporate market.

We need to be able to configure our own detection methods, point to installation media folders and use the tried and true method of scripted installation (powershell / exe / msi all need to be available)

• Ricardo A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to deploy executables through intune in Azure Portal, without intune client.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base