Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Extend MDM MSI deployment

I would like the MDM MSI deployment (to MDM enrolled Win8.1+ clients) to be extended. Currently, only single MSI's are supported, I'd like this to include MSI's with .cab's, MSP files to patch installed MSI apps, and to be able to deploy .exe installers.

1,313 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jos Anoniem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminCathy Moya (Program Manager, Microsoft Intune) responded  · 

As of March 15, 2019, we’ve announced that the public preview is complete and Win32 app deployment with Intune is now generally available. Or “GA” as we say here. :-)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Enterprise-Mobility-Security/Sneak-peek-Public-preview-of-Win32-application-deployment-using/ba-p/264460

I realize that we’re calling this complete based on Win32 app deployment to .exe, and only to Win10 clients as described in the blog. If there are still pieces of MSI deployment that you want and don’t have, please create new items and use the votes we returned to you from this one to help us prioritize future work in this area.

Thank you so much for your feedback, and thanks for using Microsoft Intune!

65 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having some good results with the new Win32 deployment tools - converting my mess of Powershell scripts downloading and manipulating zip files from Azure storage has been very straightforward and allowed us to use the Company Portal store for its intended purpose.

I would like to see some more advanced options available to use for the install command, though. Perhaps an option to take device/user attributes like the UPN and have that expanded when the commands run, as some applications accept a limited amount of autoconfiguration to be performed at the time of install.

• STRiCT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The documentation I have found says the Win32 app converter supports MSI, EXE, and MSP, but that is not true! Trying to load just a single MSP fails!!! I understand the work around is to package the MSI with the MSP, and just write the command to invoke the MSP, however the MSI for Bluebeam is 1GB in size, whereas the MSP is 100MB. Having to load a 1GB MSI to deploy a 100MB MSP is a terrible oversite for the Win32 app dev team. Being able to distribute MSI Patch files is HUGE! Please comment and vote here for full MSP patch support: https://microsoftintune.uservoice.com/forums/291681-ideas/suggestions/35691400-support-for-deployment-of-single-msp-file

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

It would be nice to see the ability to add dependencies. We have several apps that require additional files (e.g. reg, xml, ini) to install.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone, glad to see this feature being extended into Intune.

Question -- seems like this assumes the admin already has some experience with SCCM and Transforms, and needs that experience for preparing the installation package. I was hoping that once this feature got implemented it would automate some of that for you, but seems not. Am I wrong?

Anyone have a good tutorial or set of documentation for the preparation steps? Looking for something that provides reliable/trustworthy information on "what's being done" and not just how to do it.

Thanks!

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been testing this for a couple of days now and so far the results work great. I have found one bug, which once the application is installed successfully, if the user clicks the option to "Reinstall" the application, the state of the application from Company Portal will remain "Download Pending" indefinitely. PC and service restarts have no effect. The logs seem to indicate the action was taken, but the state of the application simply never changes from "Download Pending".

The only solution I've found so far is to manually uninstall the application, and the Intune client will then install the application and change the state as it should.

• Peter Löfgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something that is dearly missing is the ability to test this quickly. This includes the ability to test the complete chain using the .intunewin file butwithout uploading the file to intune and waiting for policy sync.

Something like "Test-Intuneapplication -Path <path to intunewin file> -Command "setup.exe /s /norestart"

• John Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cathy great start with adding the Win32 deployment type. It’s been long awaited.
    If possible, we would also like to see the introduction of some of the maturity we currently enjoy with the SCCM product. Such as, the ability to define and add dependencies, to Supersede applications and the ability to automate the complete setup of a packaged app in Intune, ready for deployment testing.

It would also be great if we could see some improvements made to the “Intune Win32 App Packaging Tool”. The first one would be to change the name and get rid of the term Packaging because it isn’t a packaging tool 😊.

On a more serious note, If the tool and the resulting payload could accommodate the following it would be much appreciated:
    Ability to specify
    • Custom name for the application
    • Custom command lines for install and uninstall (basic ones aren’t usually used)
    • Custom detection methods

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, this is tied to the Intune Management Extension, which in turn requires AzureAD Join. So devices that are MDM only joined (literally all 9K of our Win 10 devices) are SOL. They need to look at removing this requirement somehow, if I can deploy MSI's to the devices', why is it so difficult to deploy Win32 apps to them without AzureAD joining?

Do we have any kind of ETA on the availability of this feature? I know this is early but would like to get a rough idea now that this now being started.

• Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm currently uploading install files to blob storage and executes them via Powershell as a workaround.. Would like it to be possible to publish powershell based applications to company portal.

• Mohsin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft need to add a feature which will allow .EXE file extensions to be added into the Azure portal.

• Rob de Roos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is developing MSIX. I think that is what will become a solution for this issue. Only time will tell.

Could we please get some feedback on this request? We're forced to use PowerShell combined with other solutions or package our own MSI files to support deploying the necessary applications for our environment.

• Noor A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the most top idea/suggestion/need from customers pending for 2 years now, its clearly MS have no intention to resolve this issue, I'm adding my vote and 2 cents hoping this will change

Business small/large, have tons of in house built-in apps in addition to those standard that allow customization (ex adobe with transform file), without have a proper way to deploy and manage application life cycle, MDM management becomes a feature for only managing MS product and settings, we hear a lot about vendors talking to each other to provide better services to customers yet we need to see an outcome, this idea was submitted 12/2016, how much longer it takes MS to acknowledge it!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base