Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Extend MDM MSI deployment

I would like the MDM MSI deployment (to MDM enrolled Win8.1+ clients) to be extended. Currently, only single MSI's are supported, I'd like this to include MSI's with .cab's, MSP files to patch installed MSI apps, and to be able to deploy .exe installers.

386 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jos AnoniemJos Anoniem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When customers want a new windows 10 based solution with azure ad joined devices. Software deployment is the biggest problem we experience. Customers are too small to use SCCM. And the Intune Agent is also not an option because of the lack of policies that can be used when using that agent. This is a realy big showstopper in most projects.

• ONON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for Multiple file MSI installs, and to support EXE (Powershell scripts would be awesome)

If you look at the MDM competitors for other desktop platforms (like "Jamf Pro" for Macs), they offer to install multiple "packages" (in their case PKG files) in one "policy rule", or multiple bash shell scripts, which can in turn, trigger manually other "policy rules".

This offer a chain of actions, that are well-controled by the MDM/scripting IT admins.

• Aaron MarksAaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow us to deploy software to MDM enrolled Windows 10 computers with the same controls that are available to deploying software to SCCM enrolled PCs. In the field/real-world this feels like the most valuable features Intune could implement.

• ShawnShawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like MDM MSI and Intune client support chained package, one MSI with multiple MSI packages inside. I have some prerequisite MSI packages (VC++2017 Redistributable) need to be installed after the main package.

• Justin HowardJustin Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that is proving very problematic for us as we are essentially unable to deploy updated versions of software at the moment as we cannot deploy .exe's or an .Msi with multiple files like CABs or certificates.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too would like this feature - but until then I have developed a work around that will allow me to deploy complex MSI packages, EXE based installations and even execute PowerShell scripts (in system context). I create a PowerShell wrapper script to do what I want - Install MSI with MSP, install EXE file etc. and then convert that to a .EXE.... Then I use an MSI creation tool to create a single MSI with all required files and to execute the .EXE version of my PowerShell script..... It all works well, but there are some issues that prevent wider scale adoption. Each package is listed twice in Add/Remove Programs (once for the Installer wrapper I create and once for the actual application that gets installed) and InTune only monitors the Installer Wrapper to determine if an app is still installed. - Nearly there, but not quite

• Alan DooleyAlan Dooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good example of where this is a problem. Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables. All of these are provided in .exe. I've got a number of .msi packages which need visual C++ install first. I cannot do this with the MDM approach.

• Alan DooleyAlan Dooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make the MDM Windows 10 option far more viable and remove the need for the Intune agent.

• Morten SchaumannMorten Schaumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a highly appreciated feature implementing the full .exe and .msi software distribution possibility from the 'Windows Installer' to the 'Windows Installer through MDM Installer'?

This is very important for how we distribute packaged applications in our organization to Windows 10 PC's utilizing MDM instead of the Intune client.

Hope you can look into this feature request at some point. This is the last major barrier for us to go full-blown Win10 management with the native MDM feature.

• Chad SimmonsChad Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 (but out of votes)
        Multiple file MSI installs are a must. There are a few 3rd party tools that will wrap an install in an MSI, but this is both cumbersome and problematic.

• Jos AnoniemJos Anoniem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're misunderstanding, to MDM enrolled W10 devices, only the lowest option ("Windows Installer through MDM (*.msi)") is available.

• SanderSander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this vote! Many software packages consist of multiple files and are not all MSI installers. Being able to deploy single MSI files only is very limiting.

• Morten SchaumannMorten Schaumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

It would be a highly appreciated feature implementing the full .exe and .msi software distribution possibility from the 'Windows Installer' to the 'Windows Installer through MDM Installer'?

This is very important for how we distribute packaged applications in our organization to Windows 10 PC's utilizing MDM instead of the Intune client.

Hope you can look into this feature request at some point. This is the last major barrier for us to go full-blown Win10 management with the native MDM feature.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards
        Morten Schaumann

Feedback and Knowledge Base