Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Extend MDM MSI deployment

I would like the MDM MSI deployment (to MDM enrolled Win8.1+ clients) to be extended. Currently, only single MSI's are supported, I'd like this to include MSI's with .cab's, MSP files to patch installed MSI apps, and to be able to deploy .exe installers.

281 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jos AnoniemJos Anoniem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alan DooleyAlan Dooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good example of where this is a problem. Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables. All of these are provided in .exe. I've got a number of .msi packages which need visual C++ install first. I cannot do this with the MDM approach.

• Alan DooleyAlan Dooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make the MDM Windows 10 option far more viable and remove the need for the Intune agent.

• Morten SchaumannMorten Schaumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a highly appreciated feature implementing the full .exe and .msi software distribution possibility from the 'Windows Installer' to the 'Windows Installer through MDM Installer'?

This is very important for how we distribute packaged applications in our organization to Windows 10 PC's utilizing MDM instead of the Intune client.

Hope you can look into this feature request at some point. This is the last major barrier for us to go full-blown Win10 management with the native MDM feature.

• Chad SimmonsChad Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 (but out of votes)
        Multiple file MSI installs are a must. There are a few 3rd party tools that will wrap an install in an MSI, but this is both cumbersome and problematic.

• Jos AnoniemJos Anoniem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're misunderstanding, to MDM enrolled W10 devices, only the lowest option ("Windows Installer through MDM (*.msi)") is available.

• SanderSander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this vote! Many software packages consist of multiple files and are not all MSI installers. Being able to deploy single MSI files only is very limiting.

• Morten SchaumannMorten Schaumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

It would be a highly appreciated feature implementing the full .exe and .msi software distribution possibility from the 'Windows Installer' to the 'Windows Installer through MDM Installer'?

This is very important for how we distribute packaged applications in our organization to Windows 10 PC's utilizing MDM instead of the Intune client.

Hope you can look into this feature request at some point. This is the last major barrier for us to go full-blown Win10 management with the native MDM feature.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards
        Morten Schaumann

Feedback and Knowledge Base