Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Henrik Skovgaard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can deploy AirPrint settings for Mac and iOS – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/air-print-settings-ios-macos

You can configure some printer settings under device restrictions for Windows 10 – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/device-restrictions-windows-10

But I’m hearing from a few people that this still doesn’t really help users get to local printers, and that seems the original intent. (@Henrik, if you’re getting this, please weigh in!)

We won’t call this one complete. I’m switching this to “noted”, meaning we know you want it. Thanks again for the feedback!

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Mardahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Powershell and Registry tweaks will be your best bet at this time to deploy printers with custom settings.
        This works for all large and small printers I have come across, but it does require some expert level ninja skills (hit me up on twitter if you like @michael_mardahl)

• António Soares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us, along with deployment, there is the need to be able to push settings, for example to default to black&white, accounting, etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is urgently necessary to be able to install local printers on the computers attached in Azure AD.

• Rob de Roos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printer deployment is (was) after Win32 application deployment the biggest issue for not managing devices from the cloud. The problem with printers is that they are the last local devices in an organisation. Hybrid Cloud Printing could be a nice solution but wouldn't it be even nicer if you, besides the printer, didn't need any onprem infra to allow users to print?

In the meantime it would be nice if we could deploy drivers to clients for the printers needed. Mapping printers can allready be done, but if there is no driver pressent Windows will not be able to print to the printer.

• ON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People will slowly go away from SMB-based printing, and SMB and Domain Controllers will soon die (AD-joined devices will be replaced by AAD-joined devices)

So please add also an option to deploy printers for Win10 desktop devices...over your new MS Hybrid Cloud printing.

We use badge-enabled printers (we have few hundreds of them over the world), so it does not really matter anymore to which printer the user is sending his job (the job is retrieved by the printer once you show your badge physically to the printer, in order to save paper...). So most likely, with Hybrid Cloud printing, we will have/offer 1 unique printer queue, and this way, we (IT admins) do not need to continuously maintain an insane amount of print queues on the enduser devices.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used te Local Printer settings to deploy printers.
        unfortunately this settings doesn't work (error Not Applicable).

Have someone also problems with the settings?

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does using "Add-Printer" solve the issue of a print driver being missing on the machine? I'm finding that most drivers are not available as MSI installers, so we don't yet have a good way of pushing drivers to a system if they're not already included in Windows.

If there's a simple way to knock all of this out in a centralized way (Intune), any examples please? :)

• Andrew Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printers could be deployed to Windows 10 using the Add-Printer PowerShell command, pushed from Intune.

It would be nice to have a specific GUI to push printers but there are other ways of providing a good end user experience for pritner deployment

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We urgently need the same functionality as with group policies to set up and configure printers. This is the main pain point for schools. To be sure: we talk about Windows devices only.

• Thomas Dewar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not just local printers. If you are managing MFPs you have features like Follow Me Printing which requires a print server based printer. At my place we have two printers Myprint1 and Myprint2 deployed via GP. Using print management software they are set us that you print to them, the job sits in the print queue on the server and can then be released at any MFP when you log in to that MFP. Since I can't deploy those printers other than using GP, that makes the Intune management useless to me. Now for a real degree of difficulty, if you could find a way to create cloud based printer queues that mimic printer server behavior without a print server and deploy them...

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see how what is there can be used to deploy printer so I think the idea has to stay. Perhaps with a rename to Deploy Printer in Windows 10.

Android will need a separate idea.

• Axel Timmermans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to the "needs more info comment"; it is nice that we can manage local printers, but it would also be very useful if we would be able to deploy local printers using Intune. I think that was the whole point of this idea.

• Kendall England commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printer deployment would be nice but if you make it don't make it so you still need a local device to share printers similar to Google Cloud print option. Make it completely cloud based and driver agnostic.

Feedback and Knowledge Base