Give us the option to deploy printers with Intune

693 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Henrik Skovgaard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
noted  ·  AdminCathy Moya (Program Manager, Microsoft Intune) responded  · 

You can deploy AirPrint settings for Mac and iOS – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/air-print-settings-ios-macos

You can configure some printer settings under device restrictions for Windows 10 – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/device-restrictions-windows-10

But I’m hearing from a few people that this still doesn’t really help users get to local printers, and that seems the original intent. (@Henrik, if you’re getting this, please weigh in!)

We won’t call this one complete. I’m switching this to “noted”, meaning we know you want it. Thanks again for the feedback!

29 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • bas Hazewinkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We found a solution for this that works but needs some setup.

On a test machine you create the printers just as you want and export them.
    You then create a .bat file to run the export:

%WINDIR%\System32\Spool\Tools\printbrm -r -c BrmConfig.xml -f C:\Printers\Printers.printerExport -o force

These 2 files you need to put somewhere you can download them.
    In our case we will create a blob storage and add the files there.
    We then use a powershell script to remove existing printers, download the files localy to a workstation and run the bat file.

$Printer = Get-Printer -Name "Test printer 1","Test Printer 2"
    Remove-Printer -InputObject $Printer
    Remove-item c:\Printers\* -Recurse -Force
    New-Item -ItemType Directory -Force -Path C:\Printers
    Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://blobstorage.blob.core.windows.net/Printers/Printers.bat" -OutFile "C:\Printers\Printers.bat"
    Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://blobstorage.blob.core.windows.net/Printers/Printers.printerExport" -OutFile "C:\Printers\Printers.printerExport"
    C:\Printers\Printers.bat

With this you can change settings, import print drivers etc.
    It works but to arrange this without the use of scripts and online storage would be better.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous: the MS hybrid print service assumes you have on-prem resources to host a server. If you are truly embracing the cloud architecture, you don't have any on-prem resources and therefore have no "hybrid" need.

Most printing in offices can be handled by the printer itself, and localy installed on the users PC instead of a complex print server architecture.

I pose the question: Why can't Intune just deploy a print configuration and driver?

• Rob de Roos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see the possibility to map a existing printer that resides on a print server (much the case in FollowMe printing solutions). Also installation of specific drivers should be possible in my opinion.

@Anonymous: Hybrid cloud printing nice but has far to much restrictions. Especialy if a customer has specific tray layouts (in the case of company branded paper and so on). It is a start but in my opninion not ready for Enterprise implementation.

• Brendon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same as others have said. Would love to be able to just plugin a printer name, location/description, an IP Address/hostname, and attach a print driver.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is much needed for us as well. We are moving away from an on-premise print server to printing directly to the printer. Right now, users have to manually add printers. This is ok with the exception of printers that do not have drivers (windows update / Sharp printers). Need a way to not only push printers but printer drives. Thanks.

Found this solution: https://www.printix.net

I would love to see Microsoft implementing something like this. In modern management and movement to the cloud, potentialy the biggest hurdle to take are printing solutions/print servers. Maybe the team get's ideas from this solution?

• ANON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to +1 this. We have a new customer with just a bunch of laptops joined into Azure AD. No on-premise Active Directory, or even a server on-premise -- just the laptops. They just got a new Konica printer and, my thought/hope was, now that we switched to Azure AD, I could add the printer somewhere in Azure AD and "publish" this printer to the laptops over the internet. Is this a thing yet?

• Michael Mardahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Powershell and Registry tweaks will be your best bet at this time to deploy printers with custom settings.
    This works for all large and small printers I have come across, but it does require some expert level ninja skills (hit me up on twitter if you like @michael_mardahl)

• António Soares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us, along with deployment, there is the need to be able to push settings, for example to default to black&white, accounting, etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is urgently necessary to be able to install local printers on the computers attached in Azure AD.

Printer deployment is (was) after Win32 application deployment the biggest issue for not managing devices from the cloud. The problem with printers is that they are the last local devices in an organisation. Hybrid Cloud Printing could be a nice solution but wouldn't it be even nicer if you, besides the printer, didn't need any onprem infra to allow users to print?

In the meantime it would be nice if we could deploy drivers to clients for the printers needed. Mapping printers can allready be done, but if there is no driver pressent Windows will not be able to print to the printer.

• ON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People will slowly go away from SMB-based printing, and SMB and Domain Controllers will soon die (AD-joined devices will be replaced by AAD-joined devices)

So please add also an option to deploy printers for Win10 desktop devices...over your new MS Hybrid Cloud printing.

We use badge-enabled printers (we have few hundreds of them over the world), so it does not really matter anymore to which printer the user is sending his job (the job is retrieved by the printer once you show your badge physically to the printer, in order to save paper...). So most likely, with Hybrid Cloud printing, we will have/offer 1 unique printer queue, and this way, we (IT admins) do not need to continuously maintain an insane amount of print queues on the enduser devices.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used te Local Printer settings to deploy printers.
    unfortunately this settings doesn't work (error Not Applicable).

Have someone also problems with the settings?

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does using "Add-Printer" solve the issue of a print driver being missing on the machine? I'm finding that most drivers are not available as MSI installers, so we don't yet have a good way of pushing drivers to a system if they're not already included in Windows.

If there's a simple way to knock all of this out in a centralized way (Intune), any examples please? :)

• Andrew Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printers could be deployed to Windows 10 using the Add-Printer PowerShell command, pushed from Intune.

It would be nice to have a specific GUI to push printers but there are other ways of providing a good end user experience for pritner deployment

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We urgently need the same functionality as with group policies to set up and configure printers. This is the main pain point for schools. To be sure: we talk about Windows devices only.

• Thomas Dewar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not just local printers. If you are managing MFPs you have features like Follow Me Printing which requires a print server based printer. At my place we have two printers Myprint1 and Myprint2 deployed via GP. Using print management software they are set us that you print to them, the job sits in the print queue on the server and can then be released at any MFP when you log in to that MFP. Since I can't deploy those printers other than using GP, that makes the Intune management useless to me. Now for a real degree of difficulty, if you could find a way to create cloud based printer queues that mimic printer server behavior without a print server and deploy them...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base