Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Allow the use of Device Serial Number when assigning devices to a Intune Azure AD Device Group

Allow the use of Device Serial Number when assigning devices to a Intune Azure AD Device Group. We have thousands of iPads that are DEP enrolled and assiged the User-Agnostic Attribute. We also have multiple DEP profiles. These devices do not have users names or email addresses assigned to them. They all have the same device name also, i.e. iPad. Thus, there is no way to open an Azure AD Device Group and add a specific device to it because the only attribute(s) that make one iPad different from the other is: Serial Number, IMEI, or the Unique Identifier. None of which are searchable.

242 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott Noebel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sven Erik Matzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a work around you might use dynamic groups with a rule like this:
        (device.devicePhysicalIDs -any _ -contains "1234-4567-8912-3216-4568-9875-65")

But still: you cannot simply search for the IDs, you need to copy paste them from a previously exported list.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's ridiculous 2 years after suggesting this idea that it still hasn't been implemented!

• Stanley Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be very useful for targeting specific machine. Example, to target a test computer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or could devices be renamed to their serial number if they are supervised, enrolled via DEP

• Bin Liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that will be nice to be able to search based on SN or IMEI/MEID. (instead of device name, email or UPN.) It will be nice if we could name the device during enrollment or apply a profile to change the device name with variables like SN or User login name.

btw, there is a filter button which allow you to show the device with specific IMEI, SN and others.

• Brian Fitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a nice addition. I would like to add my name to this as we have several hundred iPads and iPhones in our environment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base