Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Change registereed owner for corporate owned devices

We shouldnt have to reenroll a device everytime a device changes owner. Please can you make it possible to change the device owner for corporate devices so we can propally audit without additional software? Kinda the purpose of an MDM

579 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Luke Page shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Although AutoPilot appears to have the ability to assign users to a device in Intune it does not seem to resolve the issue in regards to the Company Portal application assignment. We too are have been using the DEM account but since AutoPilot is not fully matured we are kind of stuck. I would love to use AutoPilot but none of the Vendors. including Microsoft, have provided us the AutoPilot bits to upload into our tenant. Until this happens we are currently working to come up with a workaround for Intune.

• Joseph Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is such a pain point! I am angry right now just thinking about this. Trying to not cuss here. I think part of it is because it is such a ridiculous problem to have to deal with. The limitations around a DEM setup kills that solution for us. I truly cannot find the words that express my frustration with this. Just typing this up is making me want to go throw something at a wall. Fix it.

• Nigel Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This appears to be an issue following pre-registration of an AzureAD joined windows device and changing the owner in AzureAD (via powershell) does not reflect in Intune. I would like the ability to re-assign a device following setup of a laptop before it is issued to an end user to login as at the moment it looks like our IT guys setting up the devices are assigned lots of laptops on Intune when they are not.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other MDM's handle this just fine via a device checkin/checkout system. When checked-in the device gets a basic set of apps/policies and when a user signs in a full set of policies and configured apps are pushed down to the device. It is also useful for shared devices.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For security reasons, we would not even consider changing the user assignment of a PC or smartphone without wiping the device and reenrolling. Protects the privacy of the old user (bookmarks, history, auto-type, stored passwords, etc) and any stray company data the new user should not see. Also, the new user starts with default preferences and settings.

One option is to use (DEM) device enrollment management. (I use enrollment@mydomain.com) and set this user in Intune as the enrollment manager:
        Home/Microsoft Intune/Device enrollment/Device enrollment managers

This will make the enrollment@mydomain.com as the User Principle (local admin rights).
        All other users who log into the computer will have limited rights and will be prompted when elevation is required.

There are caveats though. Read this before implementing.
        https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/intune/device-enrollment-manager-enroll

Hope this helps.

• Craig Mew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this functionality, for over 8000 devices that have been deployed, we have to factory reset a device each time it needs a new owner registered against it. It's a step back in the collaborative functionality that Intune should be delivering to Enterprise Businesses.

• Steve Godfrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having to re-enrol a device every time there is a change of owner is not Enterprise Class! We are embracing Azure, InTune and AAD in a big way for mobile users - this change would be of great benefit...

• Sam Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great idea with massive business benefit for us. Microsoft, please can you make this magic happen!

Any progress on this Microsoft?
        Because from what I call tell, this might be something intune used to be able to do back in the olden days, but it has been removed from us?

This is basic device management - especially of more remote offices. Being able to simply switch the owner and reissue said device would be vastly more useful than having to start from scratch!

This will be very helpfull... did you allready got an answer?
        This Case is open since September 2017...

• Tyler Bench commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be especially helpful in instances where the device is remote and we don't want to have to give out the admin password to end users.

This is seriously a huge problem for us right now. I hope we can get some traction on this issue soon.

• Thomas Gudmundsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a request we have from a customer of ours too. The scenario is that a big amount of devices have been registered to an admin, and not to the actual user. This feature would help us fix the problem.

My opinion is that anytime a device changes hands in a company it should be completely wiped and reconfigured, whether it be a Windows client or a smartphone.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base