Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Change registereed owner for corporate owned devices

We shouldnt have to reenroll a device everytime a device changes owner. Please can you make it possible to change the device owner for corporate devices so we can propally audit without additional software? Kinda the purpose of an MDM

1,253 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Luke Page shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the comments, just a few questions to the gallery.

What platform is this issue with. I’m only seeing IOS devices in your comments, so wanted to double check.

Also, are you having this issue with shared devices or just re-deployment? Unclear from all the comments. Do you want to keep all installed apps on the devices? Depending on your platform, you should be able to already do this for shared devices.

101 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Richard Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've just hit this problem as well. This really needs to be at the top of the intune priority list.
    Any update ?

• Ian Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Frustrating to have to totally reenrol a device when it changes ownership.

• Ian Little commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need the ability to assign windows 10 azure ad joined laptops to users after enrollment. We provision new laptops using a device enrollment account and need the ability to assign to the user once they are deployed

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please fix this. It makes managing devices (which is the entire concept of Intune) much more difficult than it needs to be.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this still an issue? It's absurd that we can't change the registered owner of the device.

• Dev Lunsford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Weighing in here. Yes, please please please change this. The whole point of this thing is to manage our devices based on various criteria. One of those is 'who owns this device?'. If that's 'the first bozo who logs in' then all sorts of things go wrong after that.

We want to: go into a device that's assigned to the wrong person, and put in the right person. Without anything else changing unless it absolutely has to. I don't even deploy apps based on people yet so I can't comment on that.

Even if you made it possible for some scenarios and had to pop up a box saying 'sorry, I can't change the assigned user as these assigned apps will disappear' if that's the scenario that is occurring - at least the rest of us can get on with it until you find a way to sort that out.

I've just spent a number of days setting up Intune and writing up how it works to tell the rest of the team/manager and I have to now say, well, I don't actually know how you change a device to be assigned to a new user, unless we just remove it and hope it comes up right next time'... whereas I wanted to say 'click here, adjust user'.

• Dylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big problem for us. Wipe every time a user changes on a device? Really? We have 1500 employees, with a pretty high turnover rate due to part-time employees. I get that we can have the device setup with Autopilot and the first user to sign in will be the device owner after a remote wipe, but the wipe and sync can take probably 2 hours or more with older desktops. It also requires us to have an employee on the other end physically turn on the laptop, plug it in, and hook up ethernet cable for the autopilot OOBE to work. Another option is to remote in, disconnect from Azure AD, restart, and re-join, but this still requires scheduling with each user and is still time consuming. For the love of god, make this available in the portal. A simple assign user to device option.

• Yaniv Ran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Amy,
    Windows 10 devices (at least that is in our case) get "owned" by the first user logged in to the device when they get enrolled. However, this means that in order to switch an owner, you will need to wipe the entire device and re-enroll it with a new owner, which is a cumbersome process compared to just change the owner in the intune interface.

• Kyle Townend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? We're unable to recommend this as a Windows 10 deployment tool to our customers until this is resolved. Frustrating as the ecosystem has made great progress in other areas recently.

• Dylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HUGE issue for our company. We might even need to stop enrolling devices at this point until this is resolved. The DEM account is worthless if you cant Azure AD join, I can't wrap my head on what the use of a DEM account is even used for. We have a fast turnover due to the nature of our company, also office spread all around. This is impossible to deal with without being able to change the device owner in the Intune portal!!! HELP!!!

• Andrew Norris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In January you asked for some feedback, it was given. It's now April and the silence from MS is deafening. CAN WE PLEASE HAVE AN UPDATE.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base