Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Change registereed owner for corporate owned devices

We shouldnt have to reenroll a device everytime a device changes owner. Please can you make it possible to change the device owner for corporate devices so we can propally audit without additional software? Kinda the purpose of an MDM

1,006 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Luke Page shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the comments, just a few questions to the gallery.

What platform is this issue with. I’m only seeing IOS devices in your comments, so wanted to double check.

Also, are you having this issue with shared devices or just re-deployment? Unclear from all the comments. Do you want to keep all installed apps on the devices? Depending on your platform, you should be able to already do this for shared devices.

75 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joseph Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update on this? Huge issue for us from a hardware management aspect. We have to reset devices when there is turnover, or promotions, demotions, roll changes...

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a MUST for Windows 10 PCs but would be nice for other platforms too. At present every time I need to change ownership of a PC I have to fresh start the machine and have the user go through the OOBE which takes far too long! This really needs sorting!!

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was talking to our IT support company about rolling out Intune. He said it takes 2 hours per PC. I was thinking "wtf?" He then said because we joined our PCs to AAD using IT admin accounts, you have to backup the user's profile, unjoin Azure AD, and rejoin it using the user's account. This also means the user also has a new profile, which is why a backup is taken so we can import everything back in.

I thought there's no way such an idiotic system would be implemented, he must be mistaken. And now here I am, voting on this topic at 1:20am.

• Brendon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our case we would like to change the owner of Windows 10 laptops in Azure AD. Or be able to view who's actively or last logged in to each machine. So we have a way to tell who has what machine.

For some of our machines, I initially enrolled them under my own account, then added the actual user of the machine as a second account. Even-though they are logged in and using it each day, it still shows me as the owner.

For auditing and troubleshooting purposes it would be nice to see in Intune who has which device.

• Alexander Kanakaris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Our IT stuff has “ownership” on just about all of our Windows 10 machines and we can’t change or reassign.

Is Bulk Enrollment with an ICD package from now on ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crazy in order to change the device owner on a windows device, i have to retire it. Sign in with an account that has admin access then get the new user to sign up to MDM then get them on there own profile. All this to change the device owner. Crazy! just give us the ability to do it in the console.

• Andrew Norris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there is enough info - any chance of having an update? this has been open for over a year and the updates are sporadic to say the least. Come on, someone give us some sort of an update.

For iOS as well, we have use case to pre-stage all applications using a staging account, once the user picks the device up all they need to do is to sign out of company portal app and sign in again with thier own account.

Right now company portal app is complaining device attributes mapping failed and the device refuses to register under the new user.

No users have the time to sit and wait for all apps to be installed.

VMware WorkspaceONE [Airwatch] has this ability and we might just ditch Intune and go there instead!

All devices but specifically Windows PCs - Agree with the below comments - If we enrol with a DEM account, we should be able to then assign to a user AND have the ability to switch users without the need for unenrolling

• Andrew Norris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? I also have now found that using teamviewer integrated with Intune will not work unless oyu are the registered user.

• bally commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 devices as well please. Also when using the DEM account, I should then be able to assign this to the end-user

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our biggest need is Win10 mobile devices.

We install a very limited set of applications on our laptop fleet and don't allow user-installations.

It takes ages for a device to get all of it's policies/software and if we could just nuke the user profile and assign it to a new user it would expedite our re-provisioning process a ton,

This is also applicable to Windows 10 devices and this is for user assigned devices which have been enrolled with a generic admin account.

Amy, this is for Windows 10 specifically. Because Azure AD join makes the first joined user a local admin, we join it with an IT/admin account. Once we do that we then add the local user. However, at that point, the registered user of the device never changes, which means an IT department will look like it has hundreds of devices when in fact they've already deployed them to various companies and departments. Thanks!

• Kye Jewell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are depending more and more on our Microsoft Cloud environment for all our users and even more so using MS Autopilot for our remote workers and having to re-enrol a device weather it's MS Windows / Android / iOS every time there is a change of owner is not a good use of our time, we are embracing Azure, Intune and AAD in a big way for mobile users - this change would be of great benefit...

• Art commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like this to be on Windows 10 devices, not only on mobile (iOS(/Android). This will allow our proximity support user/accounts to initially register the device and check any issues with the device before handing it over to the real/primary user.

Hello Amy,

I don't think problem is solved anytime including shared device. Current scenario for device registration as follows,

- User manually enroll the device into Azure / Intune or Auto provision them when enrolled through Azure Active directory
        - Now the enrolled user is primary user of the device and device registered to the same user
        - If for any reason, device registration need to be changed either the device need to be manually unenrolled and re-enrolled to the MDM or reinstallation which ever is the quickest option.

Obvious limitation with this,

- Company portal application store can't be used by any user other than primary user in the event of shared device

Thanks!
        Sankar

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base