Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Change registereed owner for corporate owned devices

We shouldnt have to reenroll a device everytime a device changes owner. Please can you make it possible to change the device owner for corporate devices so we can propally audit without additional software? Kinda the purpose of an MDM

1,112 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Luke Page shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the comments, just a few questions to the gallery.

What platform is this issue with. I’m only seeing IOS devices in your comments, so wanted to double check.

Also, are you having this issue with shared devices or just re-deployment? Unclear from all the comments. Do you want to keep all installed apps on the devices? Depending on your platform, you should be able to already do this for shared devices.

87 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kyle Townend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? We're unable to recommend this as a Windows 10 deployment tool to our customers until this is resolved. Frustrating as the ecosystem has made great progress in other areas recently.

• Dylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HUGE issue for our company. We might even need to stop enrolling devices at this point until this is resolved. The DEM account is worthless if you cant Azure AD join, I can't wrap my head on what the use of a DEM account is even used for. We have a fast turnover due to the nature of our company, also office spread all around. This is impossible to deal with without being able to change the device owner in the Intune portal!!! HELP!!!

• Andrew Norris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In January you asked for some feedback, it was given. It's now April and the silence from MS is deafening. CAN WE PLEASE HAVE AN UPDATE.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering this is supposed to be an enterprise deployment tool, the inability to change devices to other users without blowing it away is ridiculous.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So we are deploying Windows 10 devices to users. Some are Hybrid and others are Direct Azure AD joins. Due to this issue we have to make sure that our desktop guy does not login to the machine first otherwise he is stuck re-enrolling devices with the user which can waste about 30 minutes of time with each user.

This is a big problem for a few reasons.
    1) It makes deployment difficult and time consuming which is what we are trying to fix by using Intune.
    2) Our desktop guy cannot login to a machine and make sure it is up to date BEFORE giving it to the user. Unless he re-enrolls it which wastes time.
    3) On several occasions we have had a user accidentally login to machine and then we have to re-enroll. These are not shared machines. Sometimes a manager checks to make sure the machine is working for instance.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am actually surprised that this is not a part of Intune or at least implemented in powershell. We need this for all of our Windows 10 machines as it makes looking up machines extremely difficult if not useless for inventory purposes.

• William Arrington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Win10 devices only for my company needs.

Re-deployment is the main issue. 98% of our users use the same apps on the devices, so keeping the apps would be nice. Our company does not deploy shared devices.

• Justin Kearney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Azure version of Intune is so user centric. I agree, having to wipe a device to change the user is absurd. I am new to the Azure Intune we are trying to move from the Silverlight version which was more device focused. My users get a machine that has all of our apps installed and are assigned by device, not user so when I want to change users I need to reinstall all of my applications. Please make this product Enterprise worthy and not just small business for people with 2-3 machines.

I think this action is not yet implemented by MSFT. I have the same problem. Reasign a windows 10 device to another user but the ownership cant be modified even from powershell.
    In my case, the policy OOB Enrolled user exist is marked as an error.
    I had searched everywhere but no one have a solution :(

• Joseph Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update on this? Huge issue for us from a hardware management aspect. We have to reset devices when there is turnover, or promotions, demotions, roll changes...

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a MUST for Windows 10 PCs but would be nice for other platforms too. At present every time I need to change ownership of a PC I have to fresh start the machine and have the user go through the OOBE which takes far too long! This really needs sorting!!

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was talking to our IT support company about rolling out Intune. He said it takes 2 hours per PC. I was thinking "wtf?" He then said because we joined our PCs to AAD using IT admin accounts, you have to backup the user's profile, unjoin Azure AD, and rejoin it using the user's account. This also means the user also has a new profile, which is why a backup is taken so we can import everything back in.

I thought there's no way such an idiotic system would be implemented, he must be mistaken. And now here I am, voting on this topic at 1:20am.

• Brendon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our case we would like to change the owner of Windows 10 laptops in Azure AD. Or be able to view who's actively or last logged in to each machine. So we have a way to tell who has what machine.

For some of our machines, I initially enrolled them under my own account, then added the actual user of the machine as a second account. Even-though they are logged in and using it each day, it still shows me as the owner.

For auditing and troubleshooting purposes it would be nice to see in Intune who has which device.

• Alexander Kanakaris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Our IT stuff has “ownership” on just about all of our Windows 10 machines and we can’t change or reassign.

Is Bulk Enrollment with an ICD package from now on ?

This is crazy in order to change the device owner on a windows device, i have to retire it. Sign in with an account that has admin access then get the new user to sign up to MDM then get them on there own profile. All this to change the device owner. Crazy! just give us the ability to do it in the console.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base