or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ernst shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In a previous release, we introduced a new “management name” field, but it was not editable. I am happy to announce that starting the week of June 4, 2018, you can edit the management name field on a device’s Properties blade. To edit this field, choose Devices > All devices > choose the device > Properties. You can use the management name field to uniquely identify a device, which is the spirit of the request even if we didn’t make the actual name of the device editable.

Thank you so much for your support, and your patience. You get your votes back now that this is complete, so please go vote up the next thing you want us to prioritize.

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • J. Ellington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there limitations on what characters/how many characters? I have tried numerous times today to rename my iPads (I just want to add the serial number to the name) and it has failed repeatedly

• AdminCathy Moya (UserVoice admin for Intune, Microsoft Intune) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ernst, if we could wave a magic wand and grant requests, and grant them quickly, we would. For context, I can point you to a blog series Brad Anderson started today that talks about what we've been busy doing the last few years - rebuilding Intune, front end and back end, which was a monumental engineering undertaking: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/06/12/how-we-built-rebuilt-intune-into-a-leading-globally-scaled-cloud-service/

@Arnold, @Adriaan, @D - if someone else hasn't already filed a request for what you're asking for, go ahead and file it.

@Ronald - This is for Intune. If you are currently using hybrid Intune + Configuration Manager, you could switch to co-management and this feature would be available right away. If you're asking when it will be available in hybrid, I don't know. If you want it in standalone Configuration Manager, there's a sister board - configurationmanager.uservoice.com.

@bkristiansen: anything you can do in the UI you can do with Graph, because we build our UI on top of Graph.

• Arnold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for getting this done. But Intune Data warehouse does not pull that field in the PowerBi report

• Ronald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is only available in Microsoft Intunes ? when it will be available for the on premise version ?

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is a nice step forward finally ! However it's most useful for us when looking for a device to add to a Device Security Group. Being able to search by management name would complete this for us nicely.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to do this with graph/powershell also, or should a new uservoice be created for that?

• Ernst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agile? Three years after my initial request, 729 votes and three pages of comments later, Microsoft implemented my feature request/idea.
        Got one vote in return, such a grand gesture and customer satisfaction.

+1. We plan on having 1000+ devices in Intune. If there is no way to associate a device with a group other than with the device name or limited dynamic query, this is a huge problem. When a device is reset, it is removed from Groups. It would also be nice to make bulk-renames feasible.

• Eoin Connors commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is particularly important due to the same name being used automatically when on-boarding shared-use devices (no user affinity) through APPLE DEP.

• Eric Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 1200 devices coming. I need to have meaningful names in Intune. You are able to edit the name in the intune portal app. Why can't this be carried to the cloud for management.

• Brian Grinstead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all this is a deal breaker, we are abandoning Intune for Jamf. With 1500 devices in remote sites, we have to know which iPad is which and have it auto re-associate with a friendly name on device reset.n

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intune is just not worth switching to if you cannot create groups and name the IOS devices to be automatically put in those groups upon set up!?!? AirWatch is so superior in this way.
        Hard to organizes your IOS devices when they are ALL called iPad!!

• paulconaty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really critical for managing devices at scale. Targeting apps per device is impossible without it. This feature is available in AirWatch and MobileIron. Any roadmap of when this will be enabled.

• KDS Inscription commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be good to have this feature but an organization which need to keep it non editable might not allow this feature for Intune administrators

• Cliff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is very important to have for any kind of inTune devices.

Critial to be able to rename the device. The default for iphones and ipads are "iphone" and "ipad". That does not help much. Also the ability to put a "tag" on devices to add custom attributes is needed. AirWatch has had this for many years and InTune is about the same price.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base