Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cliff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is very important to have for any kind of inTune devices.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critial to be able to rename the device. The default for iphones and ipads are "iphone" and "ipad". That does not help much. Also the ability to put a "tag" on devices to add custom attributes is needed. AirWatch has had this for many years and InTune is about the same price.

Absolutely unbelievable that you can not rename or create friendly names of devices.

This missing feature makes the whole product unusable. without it i can not see how i can manage devices with generic users or distinguish between the different devices a single users has.

Very poor product

• Nick Pilon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the original name is important in device management, it would be nice to add a new data column named Current Device Name and kept original name in the backend. There are few customers that require that functionality.

• Keith Knowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute necessity, and I can’t imagine that it is programmatically that difficult to add an arbitrary name column to the device record. Very little effort required for a very big improvement.

• Neil MacKinnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too are encountering this issue.
        We are running a project to enrol our fleet of devices into Intune, and already just in our small test group the lack of the ability to uniquely identify devices with a friendly name is very frustrating!
        It creates an absolute administrative nightmare.

• Mladen Djukic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is not resolved soon, we are moving away from Intune!!! This is a nightmare, I am constantly emailing users to rename their phones so I can put them in a correct group.

Just started using Intune, need to be able to initiate name change from Intune (not from device). Found that I CAN update it on the device and then force a sync and it works, but this requires allowing name change on the device which we do not want to do. Temporarily disabling this setting works, but is a nuisance to have to do each time we onboard an iOS device.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We manage hundreds of iPads for conference room reservation. For us, it would be great to have renaming feature to match the conference room name.

Renaming is possible in other MDMs.

This is really frustrating...
        I can see that this suggestion is now deadlocked for technical reasons... So please Microsoft, just add an extra column for an additional name/label field, you don't have to touch the existing one. It will be a lot better than what we have now.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know which device I need to add to a group because most of them say iPhone. There has to be a way to distinguish or rename device names in Intune.

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to automate the naming convention on the devices would be a really strong offering to help manage our devices better, so when devices enrol, or when a device configuration policy is pushed, it renames the device to the next number in a sequence.

• Adam VanDreumel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just started delving into Intune this week, with the possibility of covering a couple thousand devices throughout our organization. The lack of the ability to uniquely identify devices with a friendly name is very seriously nearly enough for us to back away from this service. It looks like an absolute administrative nightmare. With only a small test group in place, I am already having a hard time identifying devices. I really do not want to deal with the realistic possibility of losing hundreds of hours of administrative work time due to this oversight in system design. Since the issue was raised over 2 years ago and no resolution has been offered, it is apparent this is not being taken very seriously.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base