• facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Neil MacKinnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too are encountering this issue.
        We are running a project to enrol our fleet of devices into Intune, and already just in our small test group the lack of the ability to uniquely identify devices with a friendly name is very frustrating!
        It creates an absolute administrative nightmare.

• Mladen Djukic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is not resolved soon, we are moving away from Intune!!! This is a nightmare, I am constantly emailing users to rename their phones so I can put them in a correct group.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started using Intune, need to be able to initiate name change from Intune (not from device). Found that I CAN update it on the device and then force a sync and it works, but this requires allowing name change on the device which we do not want to do. Temporarily disabling this setting works, but is a nuisance to have to do each time we onboard an iOS device.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We manage hundreds of iPads for conference room reservation. For us, it would be great to have renaming feature to match the conference room name.

Renaming is possible in other MDMs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really frustrating...
        I can see that this suggestion is now deadlocked for technical reasons... So please Microsoft, just add an extra column for an additional name/label field, you don't have to touch the existing one. It will be a lot better than what we have now.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know which device I need to add to a group because most of them say iPhone. There has to be a way to distinguish or rename device names in Intune.

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to automate the naming convention on the devices would be a really strong offering to help manage our devices better, so when devices enrol, or when a device configuration policy is pushed, it renames the device to the next number in a sequence.

• Adam VanDreumel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just started delving into Intune this week, with the possibility of covering a couple thousand devices throughout our organization. The lack of the ability to uniquely identify devices with a friendly name is very seriously nearly enough for us to back away from this service. It looks like an absolute administrative nightmare. With only a small test group in place, I am already having a hard time identifying devices. I really do not want to deal with the realistic possibility of losing hundreds of hours of administrative work time due to this oversight in system design. Since the issue was raised over 2 years ago and no resolution has been offered, it is apparent this is not being taken very seriously.

• Ben Zell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I was directed to this thread to comment on the device naming issues with Android devices in Intune. I am using a device enrollment manager account to enroll a number of shared test Android devices and the resulting names in Intune are very generic and unhelpful in actually identifying the devices. I'd love to be able to rename them in the console, but the device name property field in Intune is disabled. Please consider enhancing the device naming abilities of Intune so that I can find these devices later in the real world if I need to!

Thanks!

• Nick Buckley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We regularly deploy and help our customers adopt Intune, and regularly the ability to rename a device via the Intune console is requested/required by the customer. There's nothing worse than searching for a device to find several thousand results all called iPhone as an example. This is the same for many Windows devices, manufacturers default computer names have no bearing or relevance to serial/asset number (or any other identifier) so this feature is critical. This is especially fundamental, to customers who are moving away from AD on-prem and moving solely to the cloud (AzureAD) with auto-mdm enrolment after AAD Domain Joining (70% of our customer base are on this journey). From testing, it has also been noted that using the rename option in the Company Portal App, does nothing other than change the name/label in the Company Portal. Neither the device nor Intune admin console pick up this change.

• Robert Paterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can get some ipads to display their custom name, some just say iPad. I've tried resetting the iPad s that just displayed iPad when I had actually named them something different. SOMETIMES then new name will catch, not always. There has to be an exact sequence and timing to get the custom name to display in sccm. Something to do with the time it takes sccm to see the device as Preeclared (DEP from Apple) and the time it takes to be able to set it to Afinity or non-affinity and become Enrolled

• Lain Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's two separate issues being misrepresented as one in this thread, but it's the nearest match short of creating a new (and likely pointless given the proximity to this thread) suggestion.

1. There's the concept of renaming the actual device.
        2. The concept of renaming the device label in the Intune Company Portal and having that match or at least show up and be searchable (and orderable) in the Intune web management interface(and perhaps SCCM though I'm not sure what the view there is like as we've elected to not go down that path).

My vote is going for number 2 as this has no prerequisites such as requiring the aforementioned Supervised profile (from Daniel) for iOS devices.

To answer the question regarding the trade-off of it not being visible in the native information panels, this is entirely acceptable in the context where we're only trying to make managed device management easier, as it's implicitly true that the managed device is going to have the Company Portal and therefore the ability for the user to see the name.

The primary concern for us is the ability to easily have the user identify their device and the support personnel to find a matching entry in the Intune web management interface. This does not need to be implicitly bound to the hardware device name to be realised.

An additional key point to this is that the attribute needs to be searchable from within the Intune web management interface, and the column should ideally be orderable as well.

From an implementation perspective, you could have the label versus the actual device name being handled separately (i.e. two separate rename points of entry), however, you could also weigh up the benefit of consolidating the process by having the existing rename process change the new label as well as the device (notably looking at iOS here) if it's possible to do so, but simply quietly failing that specific component if it's not. This still allows for the simplification of the administration process as well as the standardisation of where the user should be checking (in the Intune Company Portal).

• Cory Tomlinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Android and Windows Phones are named user_platform_date regardless of device actual name. Why is iOS behavior different? Ideally this display name should be editable since it's not a unique identifier. Either that or just follow the same conventions as the other platforms.

The other problem is that, in a large enough company, you get some users with inappropriate device names. In BYOD we can't force a user to rename their personal device, and I shouldn't have to have "Muthafu**in iPhone" or My iPhone B*tch in my admin console.

Please fix this design flaw as soon as possible.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base