Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

Manage BitLocker

More and more we have clients who are getting all they need from Office 365 services. They no longer need servers or Active Directory. We often see the need to deploy BitLocker to these machines, which is currently a fairly manual process. I'd like InTune Standalone to be able to deploy and manage BitLocker without Active Directory or an Enterprise Agreement. Even if we had to pay a couple extra bucks per user, it would be 100% worth it. The other supposed cloud-based full disk encryption products are not very good, so I think it's a big opportunity to make a big change in the security world.

543 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Justin ClayJustin Clay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ronan MoriartyRonan Moriarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bitlocker CSP does not fully automate Bitlocker Setup - Customers are looking for a method that will automatically enable Bitlocker on non Connected Standby / Instant Go devices. The Redstone 2 CSP .. almost automates Bitlocker setup via MDM but, falls short from complete automation.

CSP Documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/bitlocker-csp

1. no way to automatically initiate Bitlocker setup using MDM OMA-URI. user must take action on Toast "Encryption Needed"
        2. no way to set the value for "Choose which encryption mode to use"
        3. no way to start the encryption

• Ronan MoriartyRonan Moriarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need Ability to specify encryption method for Bitlocker with Azure AD Join - When using Azure AD Join with Connected Standby / Instant Go devices Bitlocker is automatically initiated and key escrowed to Azure AD. While this is a great feature, the encryption method used is XTS-AES 128, customers would like to have the stronger encryption standard (256)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. This is critical piece of requirement considering enterprise security when managing devices via Intune. Appreciate if MS can hasten some work in this area

• JordanJordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! We have a cloud first model, and integrating MBAM features with Intune/Azure would be excellent.

Whole disk encryption is very high on our list of requirements for endpoint compliance, and with no way to accomplish this with Intune we are forced to look elsewhere for the time being.

• Chris MooreChris Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed... Merging the functionality of MBAM into Intune with AAD would be perfect for this.

• Dmitry GladyshevDmitry Gladyshev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Alan.
        Thanks for posting a link, really cool solution.
        Do you have any progress with packing to MSI?
        If yes - please share how to, would be very appreciated.
        Thanks.

• Alan DooleyAlan Dooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Appalling that this is not possible now. Even though manage-bde cannot write to AAD it wouldn't be that hard for the Intune agent to gather the recovery key and store it somewhere. I'd like to move to MDM for about 1,000 laptops but without this I cannot do it. Barely any devices support instant go and I'm struggling to understand why it is a pre-req.

• AnthonyAnthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need both the manage-bde or other ways to enable bitlocker when we join aad and intune if we do nto have intstantgo

This is much needed, both to enforce bitlocker and monitor compliance of all PCs. That's really feel strange when we can do it for non-microsoft mobile devices but not with their own OS.

• GertGert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've implemented Azure AD Join with automatic BitLocker encryption. This automatically writes the recovery key into Azure AD for the user. Unfortunately this is only possible for at least "InstantGo" devices.
        The manage-bde.exe (which is the command line utility for BitLocker management) has no option to write the Recovery key to Azure AD, otherwise we were able to do this for non-InstantGo devices also.

This is a feature we are after too. We are comparing InTune with Meraki who offers this service for FileValt and we love it. I would like to see InTune step up and at least provide encryption support through Bitlocker. I would also like FileValt but that may be another thread.

• JakeHJakeH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently have MBAM for key management but it would be extremely nice to support this for off-site clients.

• Aaron HoudeshellAaron Houdeshell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a requirement that all of our laptops have bitlocker encryption turned on. It would be nice if Intune could report to us which devices for some reason have it turned off, without the device having to be enrolled into Intune as mobile device. Bitlocker is a Microsoft product, why cant the Intune client already installed on the devices report this? This would make Intune the one stop application for us. Thanks

• Marc VMarc V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in Trial using Intune and so far we are liking the product as well as support but this is the first major drawback we hope gets added in.

We currently use SCCM/AD to monitor and mange bitlocker. We use AD to store our bitlocker keys but we use SCCM to create custom collections/reports to monitor and act on managed devices that are compliant or non-compliant.

We are a smaller organization so we are trying to just use Intune standalone by itself to manage our devices without a SCCM hybrid solution and a bitlocker management feature would greatly help in doing that.

We hope it gets added!

Thanks!

• Ryan SheldonRyan Sheldon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we currently utilize BitLocker with Active Directory, being able to lessen our dependence on the on-premises servers and move these features to the cloud would help. Having BitLocker integration with Intune would allow us to maintain encryption on our remote endpoints without worrying about key storage/recovery or encryption compliance.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base