Microsoft

Microsoft Intune Feedback

How can we improve Microsoft Intune

No option to enter a WiFi password when creating a WiFi profile with wpa or wep security

Pushing out an iOS WiFi profile that contains wpa or wep security is useless without a password. When I attempt to create a WiFi profile and select wpa (any type) or wep I does not give me the option to enter a password. We have WiFi password that is shared among multiple sites and we do not want to distribute it to employees so they can't use it to connect personal devices.

Every other MDM I have used has the option to enter a password.

Is this expected or is this a bug??

This may be a make or break bug for our deployment.

315 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KellanKellan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bob BeckerBob Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cathy Moya - Is there an ETA or general Idea when this feature to fully configure a Wi-Fi profile will be available complete with a SSID AND the password for it? Also Is it not available yet due to a security concern/issue with entering Network SSID Passwords in the Azure portal? will those passwords and configurations be secure? - 8-8-17 3:26pm CST.

• Craig JonesCraig Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is stopping us from implementing intune for a global company and we will have to stick with our current mobile iron solution and carry on paying for the product. Shame as we really wanted to go down the intune route.

• KellanKellan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sooo.....another year.....and its only PLANNED?????

How many conference calls did you folks have to have before someone actually fixed this?

2 years to get a simple feature implemented.

Seriously guys.....if I were a dev and it took me 2 years to get a simple feature in my product I would have been fired at least a year ago. This is pretty pathetic at this point.

Again.....I opened this over a year ago. June 17th, 2015.

Figure out how to store passwords in a multi-tenant system. It shouldn't be that hard.

Another instance of every other MDM being able to do this but Intune can't.

When people start using words like "bonkers" to describe the way things are done you know you are doing something wrong.

Let me make this loud and clear:

HAVING THE OPTION TO PUSH A WPA OR WEP PROFILE IS USELESS WITHOUT A PASSWORD.

I CAN SEE THE NETWORK. I DONT NEED A PROFILE TO TELL ME WHAT THE NETWORK NAME IS. I NEED A PROFILE TO GIVE ME THE PASSWORD FOR THAT NETWORK.

There seems to be a disparity on what people who use Intune think are important ideas and what the developers and product managers think are important. It's like there users and the Intune development team are speaking two different languages.

Haven't even released a tool to make a custom XML profile. Still the only option is to use a Mac.

ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR. FIX THIS. IT SHOULD BE LOW HANGING FRUIT.

• stewart lawriestewart lawrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why on earth would you have a policy to allow configuring a Wifi profile but not allow you to enter/mange the password? Bonkers....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have just been through creating a custom profile for IOS and Android. Is a bit cryptic, but this command was very helpful, to essentially output the configuration required for Intune.

1. Connected to the network with Windows
        2. Run netsh wlan export profile name="<SSID>" folder=c:\temp
        3. The file created from that command, can essentially be copied into the config, as referenced here.. http://www.theenterprisemobilityguy.com/2014/09/creating-a-wi-fi-profile-with-wpa-psk-and-wpa2-psk-to-windows-phone-8-1-via-windows-intune-and-configuration-manager-2012-r2/

OMA-URI path - ./Vendor/MSFT/WiFi/Profile/<SSID>/Settings

...beware special characters in your passphrase, these may need to be converted.

• Sean DeLessioSean DeLessio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update when this can be released? I'm running into the same issue and it seems kind of pointless to push a Wifi profile when the user still has to enter the password

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MSFT. What went wrong? Earlier this year you could add the password to a Wifi Profile for iOS but now it's gone... I'm due to start enrolling devices soon. We've decided to go ahead and push out Wifi profiles, but the password settings have gone. This is a going to be a massive pain. Can you please reinstate and perhaps apply some common sense. WiFi profiles without the ability to enter in a password are pointless.

• KirkKirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apple doesn't block this. I am running other MDM products that allow fully configuring WiFi

• KirkKirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when pushing a wireless profile, include the ability to save the password in the profile. We don't want to publish wireless passwords for some ssids, if we can push these to mobile devices users do not need to know the password, can't give it out or lose it.

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was told that Apple does not allow the ability to create a wifi profiles with the username and password in it or with the client certificate in it. I am not sure if they just don't let Microsoft do it or what, but this is fully supported with Meraki.

• jmarcumjmarcum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great addition to the product but at least there's a viable work-around if you can either write XML code or you have a Mac.

James,

Thank you for your reply. I used the method you suggested (thankfully we have 6 Macs in our environment) and I have a bit of feedback on it for any other users who are attempting to use this method.

At this point you need to have a Mac running Yosimite to download Apple Configurator. Attempted the download with Mavericks and I had to upgrade the machine to be able to use it.

Other than that, it worked without issue. Package deployed quickly to he device and when deleted from the portal, removed itself from the device.

Could this method also be used to push out other policies like restricting hotspotting? That is another feature I found that is missing from the configuration profiles that this could resolve.

• James Lieurance [MSFT]James Lieurance [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having either a UI wizard that supports all options customers need, or as for iOS, having an easy way to author custom payloads (without a Mac) would be great. The OMA-URI settings and custom payloads methods to deploy some types of Wi-Fi profiles are mostly temporary solutions or for corner cases. We have plans to add password for Wi-Fi creation wizard. I will share this feedback with the team and hopefully get it added sooner.

....... sooooo the Microsoft solution is to buy an Apple computer??

Thank you for that suggestion. Horrible way to have to do it but if that works, at least I can get around it until it gets fixed.

What would be even better......Microsoft making a tool that will create an XML file for this custom deployment where you can use a GUI to select the different security settings instead of having to use Apple Configurator. It shouldn't really be that hard to do and since this is a fairly big issue, that would definitely be a valid Windows focused solution instead of having to have access to a Mac.

It would be nice if we were given the option to determine what security features work best in our environment instead of external companies determining that for us.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base