sync contacts to local OS native apps/phone
The Team of Intune and Outlook did a great job but we believe that there are still some limitations to overcome:
- We need the capability to sync determined objects to local OS native apps/phone without limitations, like Contacts through Outlook for iOS. Outlook for iOS, for example, is a good application that provides mail and calendar features. However, since the contacts are not synced to the native OS phone, calls/SMS are not recognized.
- We know we can use ActiveSync for contacts, however, in case of MAM, we wouldn´t allow ActiveSync in our mobile devices.
of course you can sync contacts from the outlook app menu to the local adressbook.
but there are limitations, which are showstopper to do that:
1. there is no posibilities to sync subfolder in exchange contacts. only contacts in the main folder will be synced
2. i heard outlookp app synced contacts will not be marked as managed contacts and so all unmanaged apps can use this contacts (since ios 11.3 there is the posibility to hide managed contacts (sync over activesync exchange accounts) from unmanaged apps)
i can't verify it because of point 3
3. u need an active icloud for contact sync from outlook. but we block icloud sync cause of dsgvo (gdpr)
so in my opinion there are 2 possible solutions:
1. make it possible to sync all exchange contact folders from outlook to the local address book without the necessary icloud account
2. make it possible to set a intune mail or contact configuration policy where we can define to sync only exchange contacts. so possibly give us some switches (sync mail, contacts, calendar, tasks etc)
Is there any progress? For now this is a showstopper.
Jeroen Dijkman commented
Is there any progress on this topic? I agree with the comments that we need this for Android too. It is the big blocking point for our company to start managing Android Enterprise with Intune.
It is also blocking us from using conditional access to block the active sync in the Android personal profile. Because without the professional contacts being available in all apps (Work and Personal) it will become too restrictive for our environment.
Paul Fitzgeral commented
If i receive an email in Microsoft Outlook on my iphone and then select it, i get the option to save it as a new contact or add to and existing contact IN THE IOS CONTACT STORE. so even if i enable sync in MS outlook this scenario is broken. Going to have to find another MDM solution soon because of the level of customer complaints regarding the crippling of iphones. some are asking to have the security features disabled. Will microsoft comment on any of this. is there some other forum that is actually monitored?
We need for android as well.
Stanley Lim commented
We are using enrolling Android into Intune using Android for Work. Whatapps and any apps is not able to see the contracts in Outlook. Please fix this!
This is now working in the Outlook for iOS app. Within the Outlook app on iOS device, Settings>Tap the account>Toggle on "Save Contacts"> tap "Save to My iPhone" at prompt "Would you like to save your [#] Outlook contacts to your iPhone?" > Tap "OK" to allow Outlook to sync Contacts to the iOS Contacts app.
I agree with this request. Please dont forget about Android. Thanks!
Had plans on checking out the Outlook app for iOS to replace the current native email app that we have rolled out to our users already. However didn't realize the Outlook contacts would not be recognized by the phone. Assuming this is true, this would be an absolute show stopper for us.
Shoaib Khan commented
Because of this one way sync (plus absence of automatic profile configuration for Outlook) I have already lost one potential customer and the one i am currently doing POC with has serious reservations.
You should definitely add the capability to sync contacts from device to exchange.
Agreed - this is a requirement for my firm. We cannot use the Outlook app without integration of the contacts with calls and texts.
Rob S commented
I agree with this, but please also include Android.